West Haven CT Homepage

City Clerk’s Office

The primary mission of the Office of the City Clerk is to provide the taxpayers of West Haven with the following services:

  • Handles all birth, marriage and death certificates recorded by the city clerk.
  • Issues licenses for dogs, hunting/fishing, liquor, marriage and trade names.
  • Maintains maps of land records.
  • Records all land records (15,000 for the year).
  • Records notary public certificates.
  • Provides free Valentine’s Day weddings.

See the Fee Increase Summary [Effective July 1, 2018] (PDF).

Land records are recorded from 9 a.m. to 3:45 p.m. weekdays.

Notary Publics

The Office of the Secretary of the State, Business Services Division, licenses all notaries public in Connecticut. The fee for a new notary commission is $120, and the fee to renew a notary commission is $60. Notary commissions are valid for five years. For licenses/renewals, go to Notary Public Licensing. More details at Online Notary Public Applications and Renewals (PDF).

Vital Statistics Online Ordering System

Get vital records on the new West Haven City Clerk's Vital Statistics Online Ordering System. Requests for birth, death and marriage certificates are processed from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. weekdays. Once all information is available, orders are processed within two business days, excluding weekends and holidays. 

Fraud Alert — SearchIQS

Sign up here to receive an email when documents are recorded under your name. If you have any questions about what has been recorded, please contact us.

Procedures for Processing Wedding Licenses

Wedding licenses are issued by appointment only. You must come in or call to make an appointment.

  • Licenses are issued on Wednesdays only.
  • Both parties must be present.
  • Fill out all paperwork.
  • A justice of the peace will be assigned. (The fee for the justice of the peace is the responsibility of the couple.)

Information required:

  • Name of the spouses.
  • Bride’s maiden name.
  • Date of marriage.
  • Phone number of each applicant.
  • Each applicant must sign the Marriage License Worksheet.

One (1) acceptable form of identification is required from each individual requesting a license:

  • Current state ID issued by the Department of Motor Vehicles.
  • Current motor vehicle ID issued by the state DMV (with the correct address).
  • Valid passport (copy of page with the photo and expiration date listed).
  • Current military ID.

If you do not have any of the above IDs, you will need any two (2) of the following documents:

  • Social Security card.
  • Current utility bill showing your name and address.
  • Voter registration card.
  • Car registration showing your name and address.

Both parties must sign the Marriage License Worksheet as confirmation the correct information has been submitted.


The marriage license fee is $50, as of July 1, 2018, per PA 18-136.

A copy of a marriage license is $20, as of Oct. 1, 2009, and the town clerk/registrar of vital statistics may issue only certified copies of marriage certificates.


Marriage License Worksheet (Fillable)

Dog Licenses (Dog License Notice: Renew by June 30)
Dog license renewal offered online; penalty accrues after 6/30

Dogs must be at least 6 months old and have an up-to-date rabies shot. A copy of a rabies vaccination and the fee — $8 for a neutered male/spayed female and $19 for a non-neutered male/non-spayed female — can be mailed to the city clerk. The dog license is mailed to the individual, saving a trip to City Hall. Licenses can be issued through the mail, if desired. New: Renew a dog license online at Dog License Renewal.

Government Websites by CivicPlus®
Arrow Left Arrow Right
Slideshow Left Arrow Slideshow Right Arrow